Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Sohrab shrugged and smiled, wider this time. " I dont mind. I can wait. It's like the sour apples."

"Sour Apples?"

"One time, when I was really little, I climbed a tree and ate these green, sour apples. My stomach swelled and became hard like a drum, it hurts a lot. Mother said, that if I'd just waited for the apples to ripen, I wouldnt have become sick. So now, whenever I really want something, I try to remember what she said about the sour apples." .........................................

The above was taken fm the book Kite Runner. I'm done with it ...I was really moved when i read the above. One of my favourite clause...besides "For you ,a thousand times over........"

It's a great book indeed. Thank you my friends for the great recommendations....but surprisingly, i didnt need a box of tissue next to me.. thou, i really could feel the agonies, the pains, the happiness , the sufferings etc........

I didnt like the character Amir in the beginning, but grew to forgive him when he tried to redeem himself.

But I have to admit, that I nearly threw the book when Amir told the little boy he would have to go an orphanage for just a little while and the little boy begged and begged. And then for Amir to find him in the tub that way. It was so disturbing to read that, and you knew just how Amir felt, the ripping out of his heart, and how he prayed and all the things he promised God. This book was very heart-wrenching.

I could go on and on abt the book..cos, when im on it, i could vaguely imagined, how the whole scenarios took place.

But the author didn't have to spell it out for us. It ended perfectly, with the kite running .


Now, that im done with this one, anyone got any good reviews or recommendation of a good read ?

10 comments:

Al Sayf said...

You can try Crime And Punishment (Fyodor Dostoyevsky), Norwegian Wood (Haruki Murakami), Lord Of The Flies (William Golding) and To Kill A Mockingbird (Harper Lee). Those are the ones my wife enjoy, especially Crime And Punishment (she's probably read it more than 10 times) and Norwegian Wood (recent favourite of hers). Haruki Murakami's other books are a lot more trippy though so you might want to skip his other books first.

Me, I love American Psycho (Brett Easton Ellis) but a lot of women hate that book and want it banned. I don't think the library has it or if it's for sale anywhere here but I have a copy of my own. If you want I can probably post it to you but I really don't think you would want to read it. I don't read that many books. Right now I'm trying to finish the 7th volume (last one. yay!) of The Dark Tower series by Stephen King... spaghetti western meets Tolkien. Interesting.

And if you haven't read Animal Farm (George Orwell), you should. It's very short. If you got time, you can probably finish it in a day.

Aryna said...

Kau tak nangis, kuntum?? Kau tak cengeng ke?? Aku dgn mumbles sampai nangis tersedu-sedu. Kita feeling habis!!!

Aku tengah baca Bee Season. Movie dia dah kluar, tapi aku nak baca buku dia jugak. Nampak macam gerek jugak....

NoR said...

al sayf,

thanks for the recommedations, will check it out. i thot ive read To Kill a Mockingbird and Animal Farm, during my skool days..english literature. :)

mrs beki,

yap..somehow, i didnt shed a tears...but i could really feel it..tomoro i might drop by the library to rtn the book and probably check on other reads ;)

Princess Emrdyl said...

oh wow.... i really like the "sour apples" extract.. left an instant mark on me. i must admit it managed to hold me down now, when i was just about to give up and hope no more.

anyway, u takecare & may Allah bless youuuuu :)

`ruzanna.isolde.

NoR said...

asydin,

im just like you, got a little effected as i read on. But then, the book was not about happy endings, eh....

us angles,

it just hit the nail on the head..;)

u take care too.

Princess Emrdyl said...

so u need my particulars?
like what? urmmmm... i/c no. contact details and all uh?

(dah excited gila paderhal march and it's only the first of feb!)

ngeehehehe.

`ruzanna.isolde.

Aishah said...

Try to get, "We need to talk about Kevin, " by Lionel Shriver.
This book is very disturbing, a true story about a boy who murdered his schoolmates, his dad and his only sister.
Book was written through the thoughts of his mom, I got it from Bedok Library.
You should also read some of Jodi Picoult's books, I am absolutely hooked on her. My Sister's Keeper is one of her better books, another would be Plain Truth. All can get from library.

NoR said...

aishah,

thanks so much for the recommendation...will definitely check it out..hopefully Pasir Ris library got them.;)

Anonymous said...

І vіѕited mаny websites but the audio feаture for аudiο songs рrеsent аt
this website is really ωοnderful.

Feel free to visіt my weblog; reputation management definition

Anonymous said...

Way cool! Some very ѵalid pointѕ! Ι appгeciate
you wrіting this write-uр and the rеst of the ωеbsitе іs геally gоοԁ.


Μу weblog; lloyd irvin